Thursday, November 20, 2008

Monday Morning Devotion #259

This Week's Focal Passage:

"I say then: 'Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so you do not do the things you wish." Galatians 5:16-17 (NKJV)

Strong's:
Walk #4043 peripateo = to live, to be occupied with
Lust #1939 epithumis = longing for something forbidden, desire
Flesh #4561 sarx = human nature, carnally-minded
Contrary #480 antikeimal = adversary, to be opposed

This past week has been one of victory in my life. Years ago, there was an event in my family's life that truly broke Glen and my heart. We did not react to it properly and I allowed myself to dive deep into the bondage of unforgiveness and fear. About four years ago, the Lord lead us to a body of believers who surrounded our family with love and prayer. When we first entered the doors of that church, we were emotionally and spiritually wounded and we refused to get involved or to serve in the church.

The Lord God used our pastors, the teachers, and the entire congregation to minister truth to us, encourage us and to hold us accountable. We began to move forward in our spiritual walk and Glen quickly began to serve alongside of other godly men. It has taken me a lot longer because I was holding onto to sinful pride, fear, and unforgiveness. Last year, the Lord revealed to me the unforgiveness I was clinging too and HE began peeling away those layers of hurt, shame, guilt, pride and bitterness. Over time, I began to see the Lord's hand as each layer was removed and one by one, I forgave all those who had hurt me. I also confessed and repented of my sin in that situation and asked the Lord to forgive me. The process was difficult and VERY painful at times; however, by God's grace, I was able to continue healing.

A few months ago, our Sunday school class began a Bible study by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Tim Grissom entitled Seeking Him…Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival. Through that study, the Lord really brought a Biblical awareness of my sin and revealed deep-seeded hurt, shame, and fear. I was allowing Satan to convince me that because I failed in the past to minister appropriately, that I was no longer usable to the Lord. I was withholding my gifts and talents from the Body for fear that the past would repeat itself.

Two weeks ago, I was faced with the "past", I again began to panic and feel very defeated. This time; however, I chose to run to the Lord and seek His discernment. I cried out to Him and begged Him to show me any unconfessed sin and to help me put the past completely behind me ("But Jesus said, "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of heaven." Luke 9:62). Over the next four days, the Lord graciously opened my eyes to an area of unforgiveness. I was shocked because I truly thought I had dealt with all that. "For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12) For the first time in my life, I understand what Paul meant when he said, "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:37-39)

Read our focal passage once more. "I say then: 'Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so you do not do the things you wish." (Galatians 5:16-17) In January, we began studying together what it means to live a life surrendered to the Lord Jesus Christ. We have seen in Scripture the destruction and worthlessness that accompanies a life lived for "self". There is no victory in a life lived for the flesh. Each child of God is equipped with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit at the time of salvation. It is our choice whether or not we live by the Spirit or by our flesh. Certainly, the flesh screams to be satisfied and it is often times painful not to "give in." But God's Word is clear that when we live according to the flesh there is death.

Now, for a child of God, our salvation is eternal. Nothing can "snatch" us from the hand of Christ. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one." (John 10:27-30) God's Word promises us that our salvation is secure; however, a Christian can miss out on the blessing of fulfilling their God-given purpose by living their life by the flesh. God created each of us to glorify Him in specific and unique ways. When we allow our flesh to be our guide and ignore the Truth of Scripture, we fail in our ministry. Do not allow Satan to tell you that you do not have a ministry. Each one of us has been called to minister to those around us by loving and living as Christ Jesus did. Keep in mind that "living according to the flesh" does not only mean living a materialistic lifestyle. We also live by the flesh when we refuse to live our lives rooted/based on the Truths of God's Word, thus we live according to our human understanding and rationale.

For about five years I missed many opportunities to minister to others because I was too busy focusing on my past. I was selfish and allowed my fear of being hurt or making mistakes prevent me from using the spiritual gifts God gave me to glorify Him and edify the Body. By the grace of God, I was able to continue this ministry because I am able to write and send out the devotion without being seen. That fear of rejection was decreased because I never know who reads the devotions and who discards it. My rebellion against the Lord was in the area of public ministry, i.e., teaching and speaking. The Lord has been so merciful to allow me a "do over" in ministry. My heart's cry is that I do it right this time!!! To God be the glory forever and ever. Amen!!

My Friend, no matter what your past or your present, the Lord God loves you and has given Himself for you. "For God so loved the world that HE gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." (John 3:16-17) The blood of Christ offers complete forgiveness, redemption, healing, restoration, renewal, and eternal life. There is nothing that HE withholds from His children (Psalm 84:11) and HE has a specific plan for your life and for the ministry HE has created for you. Please do not allow Satan to convince you that Scripture is not true or that it does not apply to you. Satan is the Deceiver and he does not want you to glorify the Lord (John 10:10). Allow the Lord God to search your heart and reveal any and all sin that you may be harboring in your heart. Be willing to allow Him to show you things you may not be aware of. HE loves you and His heart is for your best interest. And it is in your best interest to deal with your sins openly and honestly before the Lord God.

Time is short, My Friend, and Christ is preparing to return. There is so much work left to be done and so many souls that are lost and in spiritual danger. Christians MUST rise up and repent so that the Lord can renew us and use us to bring light to the darkness. Are you willing to minister in ways that you never imagined possible? God is the God of second chances. HE will restore, renew, and rebuild. Take His hand and allow Him to be that guiding force in your life. Say "NO" to your flesh, no matter the cost. We are warriors in the army of the Almighty!! The victory is ALREADY His, but we have the awesome privilege to walk with Him through this life and bring others to the foot of the cross. No other accomplishment will stand the test of time!!!

1 comment:

Carol Anne said...

Just what I needed to hear! Thanks so much for your ministry.