Friday, January 23, 2009

Monday Morning Devotion #263

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8 (NKJV)

Strong's:
True #227 - alethes = loving the truth, speaking the truth, truthful
Honest #4586 - semnos = venerable, reverend
Just #1342 - dikaios = righteous, observing divine laws
Pure #53 - hagnos = pure from carnality, chaste, modest
Lovely #4375 - prosphiles = acceptable, pleasing
Good #2163 - euphemos = speaking well
Virtue #703 - arcte = virtuous course of thought, feeling and action
Praise #1868 - epaines = approbation
Think #3049 - logizomai - to reckon, count, compute, calculate, count over

This past week, I struggled with these truths. In my thought life, I gave in to the temptation to begin doubting what God was doing in my life and I allowed my flesh and Satan to paint a very disturbing picture in my mind. I dwelt upon those lies and I began to believe them. I have to say that I am amazed at how quickly my thoughts turned to doubt and doubt to fear and fear to anger and anger to depression. Before I knew it, I was heavy-hearted and wanting to run away from something that I know the Lord has ordained in my life.

I allowed fear to take root and I allowed myself to believe the only way that I could honor the Lord was through putting aside a ministry and walling myself off from serving. Needless to say, that was ridiculous because God is not honored when His children do not live for Him and glorify Him through ministering to one another. But the first couple of days this week, I felt a war within my soul and I am so thankful that God continued to speak to me through His Word. Through tears, I cried out to the Lord to be glorified through my life and to teach me whatever HE has for me to learn through this trial. God is faithful and HE did just that.

My Friend, are you in the middle of a trial today? Are you hurting and needing comfort and peace? Are you confused, angry, bitter, fearful, anxious and/or depressed? God's Word has the answer to any and all your needs. God promises us in His Word that "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9) Jesus Himself said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5b). God loves you with an everlasting love and HE cares about every detail of your life. There is nothing too small or too big for Him to handle. God holds the entire universe in the palm of His hand and by His Word all things are sustained. HE placed each and every star in its place and nothing escapes His notice (Hebrews 4:13). When His children hurt, HE hurts. When His children cry, HE cries. When we call out to Him, HE hears and HE answers when our hearts are pure before Him (Psalm 34:15 & Jeremiah 29:13). HE uses each and every event in our lives to shape, mold, and transform us into His image (Romans 8:28). And HE alone is our salvation, peace, comfort, hope, and reward. HE is our ALL!!

Look once more at our focal passage. "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things." (Philippians 4:8 ) What does this mean? How are we to meditate upon such things when our hearts are hurting and our flesh does not want to study God's Word? My Friend, we each must make a choice. We either choose to listen to the sounds of the storm or to listen to the voice of Truth found in the pages of Scripture. When you are hurting, fearful, angry, depressed, cry out to the Lord and ask Him to create in you a clean heart. A heart that longs for Him and Him alone. A heart that will obey Him even when our flesh screams otherwise. "Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:14-16)

Let's look at Philippians 4:8 in greater detail. God's Word is instructing us to think upon certain things. First, we should note that think in this verse means "to reckon, count, compute, calculate, count over." Basically, think "signifies making these things the subjects of your thoughtful consideration or to carefully reflect on them" (Vines, on-line). Second, when we find ourselves tempted to dwell upon something, may we first ask ourselves these questions: Do my thoughts honor the Lord? Are the thoughts surrounding things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praiseworthy? If so, Paul says we should think upon them, if not, we are to reject them.

Why is this important for us to understand? Because our thought life is a powerful thing. Let's look at the preceding verse, Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." The study Bible I am using explains that "will guard" implies that the mind is in a battle zone and needs to be "protected by a military guard." Since the purpose of such a guard in a wartime situation is either to prevent a hostile invasion or to keep the inhabitants of a besieged city from escaping, the peace of God operates in the same way: to protect the mind from external corrupting influences and to keep it focused on God's truth" (p. 2005). In order to guard our hearts and minds from a destructive thought life, we must stay on our faces before the Lord and meditate upon His Word. We cannot allow ourselves to be lead around by our emotions. Our emotions will mislead us, but Scripture will never lead us into death but it delivers us from bondage and sets us free in Christ Jesus our Lord (John 8:32).

May this week be a new beginning for each of us. May we commit our lives to the Lord and to meditating upon His Word. May His grace be evident in our lives and His glory be fulfilled in each of us. God is good and worthy of our praise. "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, "Rejoice"!" (Philippians 4:4)

No comments: